Please feel free to leave your comments beneath each post.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Firenze

We left sunny Rome for a rainy Florence on Sunday the 3rd. I now know what it feels like to be completely drenched while being fully clothed. It sucks. Then add the feeling of dragging your luggage down cobblestone streets trying to find your hotel and, well...That just takes the annoyance one might feel to another level. 

For the past 13years, I thought I had seen Michelangelo's "David" standing outside in some piazza among other statues. However, the original David is located inside the Accademia which is not open on Mondays. We were leaving Florence on Tuesday, which meant that Sunday -our rainy arrival day- was all we had to see David. Did I mention it was pouring and we arrived drenched? So, we had to quickly change, find dry clothes out of our luggage & make our way to the Accademia in half an hour. The line was ridiculously long (only because all visits on the 1st Sunday of each month are free), but it moved quickly and let me just say, the original David is MUCH more impressive than it's replica! :)

Florence is a much cooler city than I realized. 13 years ago, I must've come on a holiday because the streets were dead. I spent a day there and did a day trip to Pisa, then was out of there faster than you can say "leaning tower". Now here we are over a decade later and I visited a museum, did some shopping, enjoyed some street entertainment and even went to a club! Much more to do now than during my previous visit. 

My family is having a ball. They've been enjoying the sites and Tuscany's leather goods, among other shopping! Now we are off to Venice!
OXOX,
M

Michelangelo's "David", after defeating Goliath:

Totally forgot that Pinochio is an Italian story... We had lunch here:

"Rape of the Sabine Women". A sculpture of an older man beneath a younger, stronger man who is grabbing a woman forcibly:

The Duomo:

Just because:








No comments:

Post a Comment