Please feel free to leave your comments beneath each post.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Wide Open Spaces (August '10 Issue)

As I plan to downsize my living arrangements, the Dixie Chicks’ "Wide Open Spaces,” comes to mind ... and it’s making me feel nostalgic for the spacious spot I’m about to leave behind. Currently enjoying the freedom of my two-bedroom, two-bathroom, two-story
condominium, my imminent move into a smaller space -- like the size of a bedroom -- truthfully worries me! Can I cut back on the amount of space I’ve grown accustomed to, yet remain comfortable? What if I only have one closet versus three? And overall, how do I go from living in a ‘wide open space’ to a small, narrow one? I thought those days of cramped living arrangements had come and gone; however, in an effort to relocate closer to family, I’ll soon be trading in my multiple-level condo for a bedroom at my aunt’s house: a deja vu back to the days of living at home with my mother, when existing in a bedroom was all I had.

Though I am undoubtedly not the first to be forced to downsize in a bad economy, I initially felt as though I was facing a unique challenge. However, I am quickly learning that this paradigm
isn’t that impossible at all, thanks to stores like Bed Bath & Beyond! For instance, their line of products intended to accommodate college freshmen in dorm rooms can be convenient for adults looking to economize their space. In fact, I consider Bed Bath & Beyond to be the Mecca of stores specializing in making smaller spaces feel more open and functional! For your bathroom alone, they offer products like baskets, totes, shower caddies and three-tier space saving shower towers that help you make the most of your room. And with the assortment of styles and colors offered, you can still scale back and organize clutter in style. Other products offered by Bed Bath & Beyond that may help you free up some of your limited space include:

• An all-in-one laptop case that doubles as a desk
• Hangers that consolidate space
• Sweater organizers with shelves
• Under-bed organizers
• Bedside caddy that comes with designated pockets for your
nighttime reading, iPod and phone

Another favorite stop for my downscaling research is the Scandinavian favorite that just recently became a furniture hotspot in Charlotte, IKEA. I enjoyed spending my Saturday afternoon in the maze that is IKEA and would gladly do it again! When you walk into IKEA, you can’t help but to feel intrigued and excited about what to expect. A furniture labyrinth, the store guides you through each room, offering an idea for every inch of your space (or lack thereof). They even have a section that specializes in rooms with smaller than usual square footages. The store has only one way in, which forces you to explore all of the inside contents before exiting. So as I journeyed through IKEA, not only did I get space-optimizing accessories for my bedroom, I ended up with ideas for other rooms as well, should I permanently adopt a smaller habitat in the future.

As much as I love Bed Bath & Beyond and IKEA, they aren’t the only two options in Charlotte. Stores like By Design, EQ3 and even Lowe’s Hardware offer an abundance of options for making your smaller living space feel wide and open. In visiting some of these stores and speaking to the salespeople, I’ve been made aware that I’m not the only person experiencing such a drastic change. And the message? It’s doable. Many Americans are downsizing or have downsized already, so there are choices for making smaller spaces functional -- you just have to get out and look!

Til next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment